The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 4, 2024

March 7 - 10, 1990

 

Wednesday, March 7, 1990 HAIR SET

 

Got up early. A nice and sunny day. I got the work done up, got ready to go to Barbara’s to get my hair done. Carmen came and got me. My hair was a mess. Betty came and got me. I got home about 10:30. Carmen got the lunch. I went up to the her house to visit a minute. Brogan wanted me to go upstairs to see her toys. Poor little thing was disappointed. I couldn’t. I hope to someday. I stopped in to Kim’s, it looks so nice and sunny there. They both keep them looking very nice. Carmen had a date, Ugh Ugh.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 8, 1990

 

A very nice sunny day, the temperature up 45 to 50°. That was good. I didn’t do much regular work. Carmen and Brogan came. They were down to Betty’s for supper, also Billie. A spaghetti supper. Dorothea made a nice long visit this PM. I haven’t seen Zak for about a week.

 

 

 

Friday, March 9, 1990 A BEAUTIFUL NEW BIKE

 

Another very nice sunny day. I did the washing. Carmen and Brogan came. Carmen cleaned. I watched soaps. Kim and Tom dropped in for all little while. Kim had some more snaps. I think Tom is such a nice young man. She is lucky. Brogan and Carmen here for supper. Well today Betty came home from Norway with a beautiful new bike, red with white wall tires. She is very pleased and excited about it. We are pleased for her.

 

 

 

Saturday, March 10, 1990 CARMEN HAD A DATE

 

This has been a very nice hot day, sunny. Snow settled and got punchy and honeycomb. I done up regular work, made a cake and rolls (punky). I baked beans. David here in a.m. Zak took the back hoe to his house to fix. Dennis came and got Brogan this morning about 10 AM to go to visit him till tomorrow. She was so pleased. She showed him her new bike. Kim had to work today. Well tonight Carmen had a date with a guy she wanted Allen (blank). She was so pleased and they had a nice evening together. I am so glad for her. Zak up here this PM and supper. Billie cleaning up out to the barn etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment