The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 5, 2024

March 11 - 14, 1990

 

Sunday, March 11, 1990

 

Walt and Zack up for coffee. I done up the regular work. Carmen came up all happy. Told me all about her happy evening of last night. Betty called today, she too is very pleased for Carmen. Kim working again today. Zak finished the tractor and brought a backhoe to Walt’s. Betty brought up some Italian sandwiches for supper. Billie didn’t have much to do today. Broke up some snow crust in the driveway. Jason came and paid him. I began reading old diaries again.

 

 

 

Monday, March 12, 1990

 

Carmen and Brogan came. I did the washing. Then I went down town with Carmen and Brogan. I came home, we watched the programs in PM.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 13, 1990

 

Cloudy in early a.m. Carmen to town to do the shopping. I made a blueberry pie this morning. Zak up, he went over to Fryeburg with Billie to drive for him. I cooked a chicken for supper, very good. Dorothea called in PM and Betty. Dorothea had a car accident, pulled the side mirror off her car. She was at Barbs and Philips. It dented and did some damage to Phil’s van. I was afraid David would be quite upset but he was very considerate.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 14, 1990

 

Cloudy. I did the ironing and a dite of wash. Carmen dropped in for a minute. Verna and Nola called for a little while. Zack came up and had supper tonight. Didn’t stay very long. Betty not too good today. Verna told us today someone broke into their house. Billie didn’t do much today, worked on ther massive ruts in the yard. It was a cloudy dreary day all day.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment