The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 12, 2024

April 8 - 11, 1990

 

Sunday, April 8, 1990 SUN

 

Early this morning we saw the sun rise. It looked so good. Zak came early to get the car for training. I’m glad he got here and it started. I didn’t do anything today except regular work. Walt up for coffee and Zack. Didn’t see Betty or either of the girls until late PM. Kim called and Carmen dropped in then after supper Betty dropped in. Dorothea came and made a old-fashioned visit this PM. Billie done a lot of odd and end jobs. Then Jason came and they cleaned and raked along the roadside. It looks nice.

 

 

 

Monday, April 9, 1990 Nice and Sunny

 

Been busy all morning. I did the wash. I got my chicken ready for the oven, got the onions, potatoes ready to cook. Also made a chocolate cake. I’m having Carmen and Kim for Kim’s birthday supper. We had a very good supper. Kim enjoyed her gifts and supper. Zak called in but didn’t eat. We colored Easter eggs for Brogan. They are quite concerned about Zak’s outcome. I pray the best will come for him. A good job and a good life.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 10, 1990

 

It has been a cloudy dreary day and late this PM, it began to rain. Betty and Carmen went to Norway shopping. Also for Easter and Kim’s birthday. Got some things for Brogan. Easter clothes. Betty and Walt got her a beautiful dress. They got home late in PM. Carmen and Brogan had supper here, also Zak. Kim came up and got the lunches today. Betty Smith and Dorothea to exercise today at Raymond. Dorothea dropped in a minute.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 11, 1990

 

Cloudy and some rain. I dite of breaking in the sky a couple times. I didn’t do much today. Billie didn’t either. Carmen, Betty, Brogan and Walt all had a chicken sandwich. Dorothea called a minute this PM. I’m so concerned and worried about her condition she has, it is in awful shape. Carmen took Zack to Portland to look about some work and a place to stay, YMCA but he turned it all down and now what, no one knows. He is giving his family a heartbreaking and unhappy life, day in and day out. I’ll be so glad when he gets settled down and on his own. I feel sorry for him and pity to the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment