The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

September 8 - 10, 1988

 

Thursday, September 8, 1988 ZACK GRADUATED FROM BASIC

 

A quite nice day. Today Zack graduated from BASIC today out Fort Leonard Wood Missouri. Now he does his schooling then he will be all through. He is a very nice young man and will do well all his life. I hope. I love him very much. No one can have better grandsons than I have. Today Betty and I went down and got examined for new glasses. This is been a nice day. Kim was up this morning. Carmen down to Betty’s, they been busy. Billie been busy all day as usual. Betty and Walt’s family monument came today, it is very pretty. We went down to see it. Billie too. Dorothea came in evening to see it.

 


 

 

Friday, September 9, 1988 BILL GONE ONE MONTH TONIGHT

 

Bill has been gone one month tonight. We still miss him and also still miss Milan. I did a wash today. Made two squash pies, they weren’t good either. And lo and behold Kim was here and a friend. So I asked her to have a piece and one for her friend. I felt like a heel after I see what a horrible thing it was. Betty called today. She’s been busy. Carmen went home from work at 7 AM after working all night at the hospital 11 - 7. Dennis was with the baby last night and today so she could sleep. Today we met Kim’s boyfriend Bob for the first time. He appeared to be a nice guy. Billie and I went up to Bethel and got eggs. Took a nice ride coming home. Thru  Stoneham then Lovell and Fryeburg and Sweden. A beautiful day.

 

 

 

Saturday, September 10, 1988 TALKED WITH ZACK

 

I done up regular work. Washed floors, made rolls, chocolate cake, baked beans. It has been a beautiful day. Betty called, brought up a letter Zak had written them. A very nice one. He called, he graduated from BASIC last Thursday. They were on a three-day leave. It was so good to be relaxing. He will be in school now for nine weeks. He said he was home sick. Dorothea was here and talked with him. He called Betty and Walt. Walt been sick today. Dorothea and I down to the hospital to see Thena. She is a very sick woman. Can’t hear anything. I don’t know what they are going to do about her situation. Kim called after work. Carmen and Brogan been home all day. Brud called, he looked at snapshots.

No comments:

Post a Comment