The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

October 31 - November 3, 1988 Halloween

 


Monday, October 31, 1988

 

This is been a quite nice day. I been very busy. I done up regular housework. Made two pies. Betty and Brogan came. I went down there. Stayed until 11:30, came home, finished my regular work. Billie to Dr. Goldenhar. He trimmed his bad spot on the bottom of his foot. In PM I went down to Betty’s again. Brogan was in bed. Betty got ready to go to Norway. They had the signing of the papers on the house. Then she, Walt, Charlene and Tom out for dinner. I came home, got rest of the supper ready. Carmen and Brogan here for supper. Then they went out for Halloween. I had about 14 kids. Brogan had a good time, got a bag of candy.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 1, 1988 Jersey heifer came

 

Billie had another Jersey heifer come today. I done up the work, did ironing. Worked at the desk all day. Didn’t get orders made out. Carmen and Brogan came. Also Betty dropped in, she and Betty S got her living room cleaned. Dorothea called and made a visit. Carmen been busy going here and there. To the Dr., to Weight Watchers, and down and done my shopping.

ZACK COMES HOME THIS MONTH.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 2, 1988 RAIN

 

It rained hard last night. Heavy winds. Worked on Billie’s papers, he has to take to Portland.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 3, 1988 Carmen to dentist

 

A quite nice day today. Cold in early morning. I got up, done up work. Carmen came at about 8:45. We got ready, went to South Portland. Carmen got her teeth taken care of. Brogan and I waited out in the car and watched the huge Jets take off from the airport. We enjoyed that. Carmen teeth look very nice now. Billie worked on the leaves today, got them pretty near done.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment