The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, February 16, 2024

October 16 - 18, 1988 Brogan's 2nd Birthday

Sunday, October 16, 1988 Brogan Alyssa’s birthday party, Brogan Alyssa Horton Willette

 

Cloudy. I got my work done up. Walt up for coffee. I took a bath. Brogan came up. Billie cleaning up some bushes and dead plants outside. Down to Betty and Walt’s for the big big birthday party for Brogan. She will be two years tomorrow. She was so excited and pleased with everything. She got many many nice gifts of clothing, toys and money. Her mother and Auntie Kim went all out. A very nice snack and dainty foods. A beautiful Mickey Mouse cake made by her Aunt Kim. It was very nice. Aunt Kim, Grammy Bett, grandpa Walt, great Aunt Dorothea, great Uncle David, great Uncle Billie, great great Aunt Fern, third cousin Joy and Susan fourth cousins, Debbie, Jay, Cindy, fifth cousins Zenya, Jessica, Danica and Leeanna. Friend Charlene and great Grammy Nanny. Mother Carmen.

 

 


 

 







 

 

Monday, October 17, 1988 Two years old today. Brogan

 

Brogan left last night to go to Lewiston to her father Dennis Willette to spend her birthday. Grammy and grandpa Willette, Uncle John, uncle (blank), Aunt (blank) and cousin Leslie. I did my wash. I did a dite of mending, regular work. Billie working outside.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 18, 1988 Betty to hospital

 

Rainy and cloudy all day. I done up regular work. Then I got ready to go out for lunch. This would have been our 58th wedding anniversary so Betty S, Dorothea, Betty H, Carmen, Kim, Brogan and I all went over to Denmark Home Restaurant for lunch. It was very good. Came home. I went down to stay with Brogan at Betty’s while they all went looking at antiques. Kim had to go to work. After we got home, Carmen was here getting Billie supper. Betty called, she was sick. Carmen went down to take her to the hospital. She was very sick, a lot of pain. They gave her some medicine. Came home and later had to go back. They admitted her. Dorothea called.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment