The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, February 29, 2024

December 4 - 7, 1988

 

Sunday, December 4, 1988

 

A nice sunny day, on the cool side. I done up regular work. Walt up for breakfast coffee. Carmen came and did some Christmas wrapping. She got all nerved up and run off. Billie was the cause of it. I wish he would keep still and stop bugging her. She Can’t take it. I finished the wrapping. They won’t come much. Eddie down to see Kim today. Dorothea and Kim sick.

 

 

 

Monday, December 5, 1988

 

A sunny day but very cold. I did the washing. Made a apple pie and blueberry pie. I cooked a ham supper. Kim is better and up today. She had lunch. Took some ham dinner and her blueberry pie, had the ham dinner at work. In evening Betty Smith and I went to babysit with Brogan while Betty and Carmen went for their walk. Dorothea is better.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 6, 1988

 

Some cloudy. I been working at the desk. Billie done regular work. Betty and Kim gone to Norway to shop.

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 7, 1988

 

I got some cards off and Esther’s letter. Been at the desk most of the day. Betty dropped in. Kim took Betty S to town today. Today they finished the foundation up here to the lot. Carmen and Betty took me up to see it. It looks very nice. All graveled in and smoothed off. Carmen called for lunch. I didn’t think she would come again. I pray everything will be okay. I sure Zak takes a turn for the best in his life and soon. Why?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment