The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, February 5, 2024

September 4 - 7, 1988

 

Sunday, September 4, 1988

 

Cloudy in a.m. In PM it began to rain. I worked at my desk. Got bills ready to go etc. Ronald and his son and his bride called here. He is a real nice guy. And she is a nice girl. She has bad legs. She can walk. Also David came, he and Billie had coffee and donuts and talked. Walt also was up for coffee.

 

 

 

Monday, September 5, 1988

 

A quite good day. I did a washing after I got up. Slept in this morning. I been working on my accounts etc. Brogan came home to Carmen’s tonight after visiting with her father and grandparents, aunts, uncles and she had a good time with her cousin Leslie. She came over to stay with Betty tonight.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 6, 1988 First Day of School

 

A very nice sunny day, not too hot. They brought Billie’s tractor back this morning. I been busy. I did the ironing, watched tv soaps. I got the corn beef on, got all the boiled dinner vegetables ready. Went down with Brogan while Betty  worked outside. Carmen and Brogan came for breakfast. Kim came up this morning. She called some calls for me. Carmen took her car to garage this pm. Kim’s car is in bad shape. Up at my usual time this morning.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 7, 1988

 

Up again early this morning. I did a wash, done regular work. Carmen and Brogan came. Carmen did the cleaning up, changed beds etc. It always looks so nice when she gets through. Kim came up this forename. Also Betty called. She had a bad spell again with her chest. I wish she would go somewhere to find out what causes these attacks. I finished the shell beans today. Billie has everything cleaned up in the garden except the cukes and tomatoes now. Corn is all gone now. He went to Norway today, paid for having the tractor done. Betty mowed her lawns and worked in her garden.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment