The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

November 26 - 29, 1988 Thena Died

 

Saturday, November 26, 1988 Thena died

 

A nice sunny day. Well my pen didn’t write very good. This is been a very nice sunny day. Betty feeling better after she got home. She and Walt over to Lewiston to get his paper. She got tired. About noon time I got a call from Lida Brackett. She said Thena died about 11 AM in the hospital in Portland. I baked beans. Carmen here for supper.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 27, 1988

 

On the cloudy side. I got the breakfast, done up the work. Walt came up for coffee. Carmen and Kim came up. Kim looking for red berries for decorations. Kim got stopped for driving too fast last night. I hope she never drives too fast again.

 

 

 

Monday, November 28, 1988

 

Rain. It rained so hard all day. I did the wash. I made a chocolate pudding. I checked over the Christmas lists etc. This has been a very miserable day. Carmen had to work. Betty had Brogan. Zack looking for work. Tonight we went down to the funeral home for visiting hours for Thena.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 29, 1988 THENA, sawdust

 

A nice sunny day. It wasn’t too cold. I done up my regular work. Carmen and Brogan came. She did the wash, cleaned up the house. Kim came and stayed till about noon. Today Billie got his sawdust hauled. Zack helped. We went to Thena’s funeral  today. Betty, Dorothea, Joy and I. Zak down putting in applications for jobs. Today they started the foundation of Walt’s place. Got stuck in the month.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment