The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, February 2, 2024

August 24 - 27, 1988

 

Wednesday, August 24, 1988

 

Cloudy and it began to rain in PM. I done the ironing. Then took a bath. Got ready, went down to Dr. Miller for a checkup. It is doing very well and it has come along so well. Betty took me. Came home. Billie and I watched TV in PM. Rained quite hard. Billie done his regular chores, picked corn, cukes etc. Dorothea and David called this p.m. She brought my slippers (birthday). She filled out some papers. Carmen and Brogan called and Betty and Brogan called tonight. Kim and Walt got back. Billie mowed the millet by hand and carried it by hand to the cows. Got a call tonight from Carlton. He is in Oregon,  just heard about Bill. Dorothea and David brought some Italian sandwiches.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 25, 1988 Foggy

 

Partly cloudy. Some sun. I done up regular work. Betty called. Carmen came and cleaned also Kim and Brogan. I made a chocolate pudding. We had Italian sandwiches for supper Dorothea and David brought yesterday. We watch soaps this PM. It was foggy this morning. Betty was taken sick today. She went to the hospital. Dr. said it was gas. Had a EKG, x-rays etc. She got over it and came right back home. I hope she don’t have anymore attacks. It is scary.

 

 

 

Friday, August 26, 1988

 

Foggy and rainy. I got the work done up. Did a wash. After Billie got his chores done we went up to Bethel and got eggs. Watched TV in PM. The soaps. Carmen didn’t have to work. She called in PM and Brogan.

 

 

 

Saturday, August 27, 1988

 

It was foggy this morning. It cleared away and it became nice and sunny. Also on the quite hot side. It was a very nice day. I done regular work. Washed floors, cleaned up. I made bread and rolls and a very nice chocolate cake. Billie mowed all day. Also all of his chores. Betty and Walt up to camp in PM. Just relaxing. Carmen, Kim both went to weddings today. Dorothea and Dave called this evening. She read my cards etc. Carmen called in on way home from the wedding.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment