The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, February 4, 2024

September 1 - 3, 1988

 

Thursday, September 1, 1988

 

Today we, Carmen, Betty, Brogan and I all went up to North Conway and done some shopping. I went to the office supply shop. I got pens, markers, paper etc. Went to Kmart. Other stores. Gone all day. Kim had to work. Brogan was so good all day. Brogan fell and bumped her head. Billie busy all day. He said it was lonesome and he missed him being around. First day of September. Headed for the cold snowy winter. I ironed and made two squash pies before we went.

 

 

 

Friday, September 2, 1988 Talked with Zack, $413 mine

 

A nice sunny day. I did a washing. I finished my letters. Carmen mailed them. Billie’s lawn more broke down. He and Betty loaded it on the truck to take over to have it fixed. We watch soaps in PM. Kim called also Betty. Carmen, Kim down to Betty’s and helped do some odd jobs. Billie cleaned some of the garden. It got hot and muggy in PM. Betty, Joy, Kay and Dorothea was up to camp tonight. It was good talking with Zack. He sounded so tired. His basic is all over now. We will see him soon. Today I got my first check alone $413

 

 

 

Saturday, September 3, 1988

 

A quite nice day. Got up early so Billie could get around to take the lawn mower over. He left about 7:15, got home about 10:15. I done regular work, washed floors, made bread and rolls. Baked yellow eye beans. Walt, Carmen here for supper. Also Kim came up and ate. Betty, Walt and Carmen down to Naples to look at the condominiums this p.m. They did a lot of odd jobs at Betty’s today, the dogs. Brogan over with daddy tonight. Billie got the lawn mower done and brought home. Worked at desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment