The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

November 30 - December 3, 1988

 

Wednesday, November 30, 1988

 

A nice sunny day. I didn’t do much. I got supper prepared, watched soaps. Betty called, also Zak and Carmen and Brogan. They had to haul in gravel up to the lot today. Zack’s loader broke down. He had to help them. Billie done some odd and end jobs. I did washing and ironing.

 

 

 

Thursday, December 1, 1988

 

A very nice day, on the cold side. I done up work. They worked up to the lot. Got the cement work started. Zack up there all day. I worked at the desk.

 

 

 

Friday, December 2, 1988

 

A nice day. I done regular work. Checks came. Carmen took them down to cash before she left to go to Portland. Carmen, Kim and Zak all off to Portland to do their shopping. Kim got sick. She got very sick. They didn’t get home until late. Betty took care of Brogan all day and yesterday. They got the forms and cement walls all put up to the new house lot.

 

 

 

Saturday, December 3, 1988 Dorothea and Kim

 

I did regular work and done some odd and end jobs. Kim still sick, Dorothea too. Carmen to town and did some shopping for me. She and Betty S down to Windham to shop.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment