The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, February 9, 2024

September 19 - 22, 1988

 

Monday, September 19, 1988 Betty got 2 Eggs

 

A quite nice day. I got up early. I made a apple pie, got a chicken ready for the oven. About 9:30 Billie took me over to Carmen’s. Also Betty H and Betty S came over. We cleaned Carmen’s dishes and packed them and brought them over to Kim’s place. Got home in time to see some of the PM shows. Had a good supper. Went down to see Betty’s pullets. She got 2 eggs.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 20, 1988

 

Cloudy. Foggy late in PM. It began to rain. I did a washing, made a jar of jelly. Had tarts for supper. Betty up this forenoon and got some cheese sandwiches, bacon, lettuce and had lunch up here. We watched soaps in PM. Kim called this p.m. She looked very nice with her new hairdo.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 21, 1988

 

A nice mild day. I done up regular work. I made a lemon pie. Carmen, Betty to North Windham. Carmen got a pair of jeans for herself. Betty got supper and brought it up for sort of family get together. Plans for doing it once a week, but I think once a month is better. Had a good pot roast. Betty Smith was here.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 22, 1988

 

A very nice sunny day, it was quite mild. I did a wash. Made chocolate chip cookies. Brogan came up, Betty mowed lawns. Brogan has a bad cold and teeth bothered her. She didn’t feel very good. Betty came about noon and took her home for a nap. Carmen came and had her lunch. Kim down to Betty’s and made some cookies to send Zak. I made him some brownies. Billie mowed his lawns. They look very neat and good when he gets done. He let the hens out, one got away. He and Betty hunted an hour or two. Didn’t get her till after supper.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment