The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

October 8 - 11, 1988

 

Saturday, October 8, 1988

 

A bad day, snow, rain, cloudy and cold. I did regular work. Then I made cake, bread, rolls, baked red kidney beans. David came and had coffee. Betty and Walt came, they went away for part of the day. Betty called late in PM. Billie done his regular work. Kept the cows in tonight. It was so cold.

 

 

 

Sunday, October 9, 1988 Zack called

 

This morning it was some sun and quite clear. But cold. I wrote Esther letter. Carmen and Brogan came, had lunch and got Billie. Then they went down to Betty’s. They got the lot ready for the foundation to be poured up here to Walt’s lot. Carmen and Betty took me up to see it. Billie been busy all day doing fall work. Shutting off water pipes, mowing leaves etc. etc. I talked with Zack. It was good hearing from him. He was on leave. He is anxious to get home.

 

 

 

Monday, October 10, 1988

 

Partly cloudy, a little sun off and on. I been quite busy. Billie waiting for Jason to come. He didn’t come. I made a blueberry pie, brownies. I made bread and rolls. Cooked a chicken. Kim had to go to town and get me some things. Betty, Walt, Carmen, Kim and Brogan came for supper. Billie trimmed out the bushes, lilacs and cleaned up some of the yard.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 11, 1988

 

A partly sunny day. A quite nice day. I done up regular work and ironing. Billie and I got ready and went to Waterford and got apples then to Norway to take meat directions to cut it up (meat). Then to Shop and Save and came home. Carmen and Susan was here. Carmen cleaned the house then done my shopping and stayed for supper. She went to Weight Watchers with Dorothea. I hope she has good luck and loses a lot of weight.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment