The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, February 3, 2024

August 28 - 31, 1988

 

Sunday, August 28, 1988

 

I done up regular work. Walt up for breakfast or coffee. Later on I got ready. Kim came and she took Kassie and I up to camp, had a cookout. Came home, had supper. We had rain showers tonight.

 

 

 

Monday, August 29, 1988

 

I did the washing today. I did some figuring. I been busy. I shelled beans. I also froze some. Carmen, Brogan and Kim here for supper, had a roast beef. Had rain today. Billie been busy doing outside work.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 30, 1988

 

It was cloudy this morning but it cleared up. I been busy all day. I done up the work. Took a bath. Went to town with Dorothea to the lawyer about the inheritance tax of this property. I’m glad that is over. Also went to the funeral parlor. Paid all Bill’s expenses and made arrangements for my funeral. I made a payment and made arrangements to pay the balance. Eva came today, Betty’s niece. Carmen came and cleaned, went down and done the shopping.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 31, 1988

 

I been busy. I did a wash. Brogan here for a while. Betty had things she had to do. Billie done his garden chores etc. Betty here off and on. Dorothea called in PM. Betty S and her niece Eva called this evening.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment