The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

November 4 - 7, 1988

 


Friday, November 4, 1988 Billie to security office in Portland, permanent

 

Clear in a.m. Well today Carmen got a new place to live. Dave Diller’s summer cottage at the foot of Highland Lake. I got a permanent today. I did a big wash. Took a bath and did my hair. Carmen came and brought Brogan. I took care of her while Kim and Carmen moved some of Carmen’s things. I got my hair done. Kim took me down. Dorothea took Billie to Portland for his checkup at the Social Security office. Susan called this p.m.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 5, 1988 Carmen moving, LEAVES DONE

 

A kind of a dreary day. Anyway Carmen and Walt got all of Carmen’s things moved except washer, dryer and freezer. I had Brogan today then she and her mother here for supper. Kim called this p.m. Billie got rest of his leaves done today. David here this morning.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 6, 1988 Carmen finished moving

 

Well it’s a fair day, on the cloudy side. Carmen and Walt finished moving Carmen’s things. Eddie came to get his dog. Kim is going to take Tara up to her house. I hope she won’t be home sick and get sick. Brogan here today all day. Billie worked outside all day. Walt up for coffee.

 

 

 

Monday, November 7, 1988

 

A mostly cloudy day, some rain showers. A dite of sun. I been busy, washed, ironed, made brownies. Betty came up. Very quiet. Carmen, Kim up for supper. They went down to Betty’s to get some things for her house, a gate, toybox etc. Betty told me about Zak’s plans for coming home.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment