The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, February 24, 2024

November 15 - 18, 1988

 

Tuesday, November 15, 1988 nice day. Zack took truck up

 

Went for a long ride today. It has been a nice sunny day. Billie and I rode up to Rumford to where Zak took his truck to have it all over hauled and ready to be put on the road. It will take a month to get it back. It was a very pretty ride up there. Billie, Zack, Brogan, Betty and I. Carmen came and cleaned it. It looks very nice when she got down. She went to town and done the shopping. I had a good supper. She and Brogan joined us.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 16, 1988

 

A nice sunny day in the a.m. it clouded up late. Betty came, she and I went to town to cash checks. I wrote to Esther. Sent birthday card. Carmen worked at Dorothea’s. She was here in PM. Up to Kim’s. They move some things to make room for furniture they are having come. Watched some of the programs in PM. I paid Walt the money for taxes that came. Got the car license today. Carmen did.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 17, 1988 RAIN

 

Billie took his truck down today to get it fixed. Carmen, Betty, Zack and Brogan gone to Portland to shop and got Brogan’s pictures taken for Christmas. I made a cornflake pudding and a beef stew today. Watched TV PM programs.

 

 

 

Friday, November 18, 1988

 

A nice day. It was sunny. I been busy all day. I washed, made a batch of filled cookies to have also I made a fish chowder. It was good. Betty had Brogan today. Zack took Betty’s car up to get it fixed. Billie been busy, he went over to the store in Harrison. Carmen up for lunch. She and Brogan called on her way home. Carmen called this evening that Brogan is coming down with a cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment