The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, February 19, 2024

October 27 - 30, 1988

 

Thursday, October 27, 1988

 

Very nice day. I done things at the desk. Wrote a letter to Esther. Billie mowed the leaves. It looked very nice all around. Betty and Betty S finished cleaning her upstairs. Joan came to babysit for Carmen at Betty’s. Holly called to see Betty. Tonight another hen came back at Betty’s. Billie had her take his barred rock pullets. Carmen and Brogan here for supper. Betty brought up some popcorn tonight. A heavy frost.

 

 

 

Friday, October 28, 1988

 

Mostly sunny. Clouded up this PM and rain late PM. I wrote rest of Esther’s letter. Joan and Brogan came up. Dorothea came in PM to look at a letter Billie got. Alyssa came with her. We watch soaps in PM. I made a chocolate pudding this morning. Also I got a stuffed green pepper ready to bake for supper. Betty up a little while this PM. Billie mowed more leaves today. Brogan gone over to her father’s tonight.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 29, 1988

 

I been busy all day. I did regular work. Washed kitchen floor. Baked beans. I made biscuits for supper. I finished Esther’s letter and got it off. I made out the bills. I was at the desk all day except when Kim came. She had a baked stuffed pepper and some baked finnan haddie left from last night. David came this morning. Betty up this PM, brought up a cabbage salad. She and Walt to Lewiston for the paper. Billie worked outside all day. He fell off the ladder out in the back shed. He hurt his ribs and sprained his leg and a toe. Betty and Dorothea out walking this evening.

 

 

 

Sunday, October 30, 1988

 

Partly cloudy. Some snow flurries. Well, I been at the desk all day figuring. Made out the bills. Billie outside doing leaves. David came in PM. Well the house deal is going to put I’m afraid. Too much money. So I don’t know what will happen now. Talked with Zack today. It is so good to talk with him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment