The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, February 1, 2024

August 20 - 23, 1988

 

Saturday, August 20, 1988

 

Very nice sunny day. I done up the housework, washed floors, got beans in the oven. I made rolls and a loaf of bread. I went down home and stayed with Brogan till Betty and Walt got back. Brogan came up and had supper with Billie and I. Dorothea came, she did my dishes. She and I went up over to the Cemetery, took the old flowers off. Betty came over. She went over to Carmen’s and got a load of wood. Dorothea helped Billie with his papers. Susan Rager called. Walt came and got Brogan.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 21, 1988

 

Sun and rain. It was sunny in a.m. and later clouded up and had some rain showers. It has rained and been showery all day. Most of the day it was sunny and nice. Blue sky and clear. I done up regular work. I done some reading. Talked on the phone. Dot and Lorraine called this PM and Betty Smith came up. Billie done his chores and done some more picking up and cleaning up around the workbench in the garage.

 

 

 

Monday, August 22, 1988

 

I didn’t do much today. Just regular work. Betty and Brogan called also Dorothea. David came down and helped Billie give the medicine to the steers. Billie to Dr. Goldenhar for his feet.

 

 


 

Tuesday, August 23, 1988

 

Quite nice day. On the cool side and kind of windy. Billie and David hauled the bedding. Also they came and got the tractor to take it over to be repaired. Kim took the car up to Conway to have it repaired. It was in bad shape. She will bring at home and have it repaired. Dorothea and Betty came today, we looked at cards etc. Then went down to the Cemetery. Made brownies. Betty and Jason mowed lawns. I had Brogan in a.m.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment