The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

September 8 - 11, 1980 Esther Returned to FL

 

Monday, September 8, 1980 Clear but on the cooler side, Hay

 

It has been a nice sunny day, on the cool side. I did my wash. Went down to Betty’s for a little while. She got the cat Lizzie from the shelter. She got chewed up by a dog up there. Billie got hay tonight from Maple Lane Farm. Carmen helped him. He took some up to David’s. The dove left today and hasn’t come back.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 9, 1980

 

A nice day, I did a ironing. Also washed some clothes. Called at Betty’s. Bill been at the camp all day working. David called this morning. He is going to take the cow and calf. Billie been busy all day. The DOVE didn’t come back.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 10, 1980 ESTHER GONE BACK

 

It has been quite a nice day. It was quite warm in Portland. Susan, Betty, Dorothea, Fern, Carmen and I took Esther to the airport to return home to Florida. We went to see Esther off at the airport. But her plane was so late going. They had changed the time schedule.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 11, 1980

 

It has been a nice sunny day except the wind blowing. Made it on the cool side. I done up my work. Betty and I went to New Hampshire to do some shopping. Got home in time to watched the soaps. Bill finished up at camp today. Carmen called tonight. I renewed my 2 magazines TV Guide and Soap Opera Digest. Betty and I called at Fern’s in evening.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment