The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

August 12 - 15, 1980

Tuesday, August 12, 1980

 

A heavy rain most of the day. I done regular work, put a rinse on my hair. Made a lemon pie for Carmen. Also made a chocolate pudding. I did my hair, washed out the clothes, towels etc. Also regular wash that was in the machine. In evening I went down to Fern’s to visit she and Esther. I did the ironing early. Nola Raye and husband called. He is a nice guy.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 13, 1980 hair set, Carmen had pictures taken

 

I done up work. Got ready to have my hair set over to Janet’s. Carmen down to have pictures taken for yearbook at Lake Region High School. Susan, Esther and children to town to do some school shopping. Carmen up a little while.

 






 

 

 

 

Thursday, August 14, 1980

 

Mostly cloudy all day. Bill up to Dorothea’s. Billie worked around doing odd jobs. He did some trimming with the mowing machine here and at Walt’s. I went to town early with Bill. Betty called. She took Delores and rest to town. I saw TV soaps in PM. Kim called in evening. Haven’t seen her very much this summer.

 

 

 

Friday, August 15, 1980

 

Well it was kind of cloudy and showers. It cleared away and I did a dite of wash. I made cookies for the upcoming party. David here and got the tractor. He and Billie mowed rest of his grass. Then Billie finished Walt’s front pasture. I watched soaps but I was busy during that time. Billie got some more blueberries.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment