The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, November 7, 2021

June 11 - 14, 1980

Wednesday, June 11, 1980

 

Well another one of those nice sunny days but clouds around. It was very cold all day. I done up regular work. Did a wash and a big ironing. I watched TV soaps. Betty and girls called. Zak called on his way home from school. Today Betty and girls brought me a nice hand-painted photo of Heidi. It is very good. I like it so much. Bill down to Betty’s, up to Dorothea’s and came home and painted Saltman’s refrigerator. Pa getting worse all the time. Betty Smith called about suppertime. She is much better and doing alright. LRHS graduation tonight. Carmen and Laurie went. This class was very close to Carmen, Laurie and Zenya. Carroll and many others.

 

Nanny and Heidi



 

 

 

 

Thursday, June 12, 1980

 

Much better day. It was much warmer. I done up my work, went down to Betty’s a minute, came home, got ready and went to town with Betty and Susan. They got new tires on Bill’s car and had new spark plugs put in and filled it up with gas for Father’s Day gift. Billie, Dorothea and Betty. I came home, done up rest of the housework. Bill up to Dorothea’s and down to Betty’s. Zak home not feeling very good. They got Dorothea’s toilet in today.

 

 

 

Friday, June 13, 1980

 

A few jobs done up to David’s today. They are making progress now. She done some primer painting today. I done my cooking. Cleaned up the house. Another sunny day. Need rain. Bill worked at Betty’s, the porch looks nice. Tonight we went to Coal Miner’s Daughter at the Bridgton drive-in theater. It was very good. Betty, Carmen, Zak, Maureen and I.

 

 

 

Saturday, June 14, 1980

 

A very hot day. It was nice except we need rain for the gardens. I been busy most of the day. I made rolls. I done the regular work, washed kitchen floor. Bill and Billie busy going and puttering around here. Dorothea and Dave here for supper. NHF had a baked sale. I made cupcakes for that.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment