The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, November 4, 2021

May 30 - June 2, 1980

 

Friday, May 30, 1980

 

A nice and sunny day. We got this living room settled and the porch or breezeway. Bill, Betty and Dorothea worked at camp again. Billie helped me to settle the rooms, he got bedding for the barn. Bill and girls came home about noon. Then Bill worked up to Dorothea’s in PM. I did some cooking today. 3 rhubarb pies, a batch of molasses cookies. Carmen up for supper. Betty, Walt and kids all gone to the drive-in tonight. Zak down to Mary Anne’s for the weekend. Kim down to Windham with the ball team. She came home and was home alone till they got back about 1 AM.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 31, 1980

 

A very nice day, on the cloudy side. But no rain. We need it so bad. I was busy all day. Made bread, banana cake, washed floors, cleaned up the house. Bill up to Dorothea’s all day. Billie busy all day doing odd jobs. We didn’t have any telephone. About 6 PM they came and fixed it. Dorothea and David here for supper. Pa not very good. Betty, Walt and Carmen called in evening.

 

 

 

Sunday, June 1, 1980

 

A nice day on the cloudy side and windy. No rain. We need rain, it is very dry. I didn’t get up until 7:30. Got breakfast. David came, he had coffee. I got my regular work done up. I called Fern first time since Thursday. The telephone has been out of order or the line. I went out and set out the flower gardens. Betty, Walt and kids tried the boat out. Bill worked at Dorothea’s and he and she worked at camp.

 

 

 

Monday, June 2, 1980 RAIN AND CLOUDY

 

What a miserable day. I done a very big wash, had to dry the clothes in the dryer. I also did the ironing. They, the carpenter, came up to Dorothea’s. They put the new door on the back side of the house. It looks nice. Phil got most all of his work done in the kitchen. Bill got his brick work all done for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment