The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, November 27, 2021

August 27 - 30, 1980 Carmen gets Driver's Permit

 

Wednesday, August 27, 1980 CARMEN took test for driver permit

 

A quite nice day, I got up early. Defrosted refrigerator, made a salad and prepared vegetables for Bill and Billie’s supper. I washed kitchen floor. Got ready to go to Portland with Betty and kids to do their school shopping. Gone all day. I did a dite myself. Got home about 8:45 PM.  Debbie Woodbury, a friend of Kim’s, went with her shopping, also Kathy Wolff. Today Carmen got her permit for driving. She went in and took the test and passed and got her permit. She drove with us all rest of the day, she did very well.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 28, 1980

 

A kind of partly cloudy and clear day. I done up the work, got ready, went to town shopping. CARMEN drove. Done the shopping, came home, finished the washing. Watched some of the TV shows. Betty called at Dorothea’s. Kimmy babysitting. Dorothea called in evening. Billie worked in the garden picking beans etc. Cleaned up the garden some. Bill didn’t do much, he made curtain rod holder for Dorothea.

 

 

 

Friday, August 29, 1980

 

A fair day. I done regular work. Billie worked in the garden today. Also went away. Bill went away too.

 

 

 

Saturday, August 30, 1980

 

A quite nice day. I done up my regular work, washed floors etc. I worked in the flower gardens. Billie and Carmen gone down to get some hay at Lebanon. Also got some plums, peachs and other goodies. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment