The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 5, 2021

June 3 - 6, 1980

 

Tuesday, June 3, 1980 $117.20 $266.70 Billie and Fern got their money today from David and Dorothea

 

Well this is a miserable week, cloudy and rain. It’s too bad because they can’t get Dorothea’s septic tank in because it is so wet. I wish it would clear and be as good as it was last week. Today I worked at my desk and after the mailman came Betty and I went to town. We cashed checks, sent out the bills. Also Billie and Fern got their money. Betty and I took it down and put it in the bank for her. Done her banking. Dorothea here in evening. Billie put his money into the bank certifications. Bill didn’t do a thing all day. Milan called tonight, Betty is bad, but will be operated on tomorrow. Billie hauled his bedding.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 4, 1980

 

Well the weather was better today. I done up my work. Went down to Betty’s, we washed all the root beer bottles and made the first batch of the year. A double batch. A big job. She hasn’t made any for a couple years. Pa very bad and getting much worse. Betty Cox Smith operated on today for gallstones. Milan called tonight.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 5, 1980 Perm

 

It has been a better day, on the cool side, cloudy and windy. I was very busy all morning. I washed some windows, cleaned up the house. Picked a mess of dandelions for Fern and some lilacs etc. Billie worked on his new ground getting it ready to seed. Bill worked at Betty’s on their front porch. Betty took Delores, Susan and Fern to town. I got my permanent today and it was awful. The color I mean. Carmen called this evening. Also Zak.

 

 

 

Friday, June 6, 1980

 

It was a nice day. I done up my work. Got ready and in PM we went to the elementary school entertainment, it was very good. Zak was in it. Vince, Chris, Monica and Cindy. Joy, Betty, Susan and I went. My teeth are a nuisance. I hate them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment