The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, November 8, 2021

June 15 - 18, 1980 Last Day of School

 

Sunday, June 15, 1980

 

Very hot. A nice day. I didn’t do much to begin with. I didn’t get up very early. About 8. Got breakfast. David came and got the Harrow this morning. Then he came back and he had coffee. I done up the work. Then I set out on the swing chair. Read magazines. Bill worked on the furniture that Saltman brought to be fixed. Bill set up the hammock. Billie off most all day. I was up to Dorothea’s twice today. Bill and I in a.m. then Betty and kids later. Dorothea and David put their fence up in their backyard today. Also Jeff called Dorothea. He has a little half-brother. Derek Earl.

 

 

 

Monday, June 16, 1980 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL

 

At last we got some much-needed rain last night. The wind is blowing this morning and it will dry the ground right out. Well I have been busy most of the day. I did the wash, hung the clothes outside. Down to Betty’s a little while. Pa is not at all good. Well, today the last day of school was different, they went all day. Got home regular time. Zak goes to fifth-grade. Kim goes to freshmen. Carmen goes to senior. Kimmy made the honor roll. Very good reports. Carmen to a pool party at Lisa Osgood’s. She got a very bad sunburn. Kim and Zak here in PM. Kim brought her book up tonight. Her yearbook.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 17, 1980

 

A dite warmer. I did the ironing and a dite of cooking. I watched programs in PM. Zak and Carmen called. In evening Dorothea came down. Also Betty and Carmen. Carmen’s sunburn better, but it still hurts. Pa getting worse all the time. They, Betty and Walt asked Dorothea if she would like to work for them caring for Pa. Bill up to Dorothea’s and down to Betty’s. Bill and Billie put the back porch top on. We got the porch furniture up and cleaned and on the porch.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 18, 1980 a very nice summer like day

 

I didn’t do much except the regular work. I did a small dite of washing. I took a walk down to the spring. Billie cleaned the mess out of it. He also trimmed out some underbrush and bushes out of the woods. Pa not very good. Breathing not very good. Bill up to Dorothea’s most of the day. Carmen came up, also Zak and Kim later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment