The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 19, 2021

July 28 - 31, 1980 Frances Brackett Died

Monday, July 28, 1980

 

A partly cloudy day. A lot of sun, still on the very hot and humid side. I got up and done my refrigerator and washing. We was planning to go down to see Frances. While I was out to the clothes line Weldon called and told me Frances died last night about 10 PM. I’m so sorry we didn’t get down to see her. I then done the porch refrigerator. We picked string beans. Bob Thomas came and got some beans. Dorothea, Betty, Carmen, Kim and Zak called. Bill down to Fern’s and mowed her lawns. Also Kimmy went down and done the trimming. Billie didn’t do much except picked some beans and some odd jobs. Bill finished outside of bus. After supper I vacuum the inside. Dorothea and David called and visited after supper.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 29, 1980 Dorothea 43 today, Betty, Walt married (blank) years

 

I done my ironing early. I picked Swiss chard for us and Betty’s folks for supper. I done regular work. They worked on David’s barn today. David worked in the den for Dorothea, she painted. Betty papered the upstairs bathroom in the apartment. Bill and Billie didn’t do much today. We have had a very good rain which we needed very much. It is still raining tonight.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 30, 1980

 

It cleared off some time in the night, it was sunny this morning. A quite nice day. I have been quite busy, picked beans etc. It has been hot. Dorothea called, she and Betty papered today. Betty quite upset this morning and she got the girls upset. They are 2 nice girls, not like most of the teenagers of the present. Betty has so much to be thankful for. I hope she don’t get this way with them too much, they are at a tender stage now. Tonight we went to the funeral parlor. Frances looks so nice. She has had a good life. She was good to Mama.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 31, 1980 Frances funeral

 

It has been a nice day. We went shopping in a.m. then to the funeral at Casco. Betty and Dorothea papered until 2 this morning. It looks so nice. Dorothea and David have such a nice home now. A big improvement so far and they have more to do. Bill, Carmen and I went up to David’s and called this evening. Took up some greens and beans.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment