The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

June 23 - 26, 1980

Monday, June 23, 1980

 

Well this has been a very nice sunny hot day. The garden is growing. I did my washing. And other jobs. Watched TV soaps in PM. Today they started putting the siding on up to Dorothea and David’s. It sure looks very nice. The plumber has finished up their work. They are getting along with the chimney very well. Also getting the roof painted.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 24, 1980 85 etc. VERY HOT

 

Well it is hotter than yesterday. I got up early, the sun was coming up, it was red as a beet coming up. I done my ironing before breakfast. Then I cleaned all the pots, pans and bleached the table, dishes. Bill mowed Fern’s lawn. Zak and Billie running lines. Betty, Carmen, Kim and Joy to the orthodontist. They are working at Dorothea’s. Dorothea called in evening. Pa is getting worse.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 25, 1980 in the 90s

 

The sun with fire red again this morning. It has been up in the 90s. I did my ref, cleaned kitchen windows and screens. Washed floors etc. Made some sandwich material for supper tonight. I watched programs. Down to Betty’s in PM. Carmen up to the shelter. Kim mowed lawns at Fern’s then at home. Also Betty did and Bill and Billie. They all worked at Dorothea’s again today. Pa not very good.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 26, 1980 HOT

 

A bright dark red sun this morning. It has been very hot all day. I done up my work. Betty, Delores and I to town. Susan didn’t go. I came home, done washing and a few things. It was very hot. Pa is very bad.

 


A day in the life of Dennis, The Cat



 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment