The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 3, 2021

May 26 - 29, 1980

Monday, May 26, 1980 Memorial Day

 

I did the wash then we washed the windows outside. Cleaned the screens and put them on. Billie washed the garage windows and done also the floor. They look very nice. Bill down to camp.

 

Tom and Charlene

 

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 27, 1980

 

Well it is been a nice sunny day, but on the cool windy side. Betty, Zak and I left very early and picked Kim up at school and then went to the orthodontist. I picked up a few things I needed at the mall. Then we went back and picked Zak and Kim up and they came back to school. Then we went to Dr. Curran’s. He filed my teeth gums down. It relieved my mouth very much. Bill worked at camp again.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 28, 1980

 

It has been a beautiful day, on the windy and cool side. I done up regular work. Picked dandelions greens and that took most of rest of the day. Bill, Betty and Dorothea worked at the camp. Billie worked at Fern’s. It is such a nice pretty sunny day. Betty took Pa to the hospital for checkup etc. He is very bad. They prescribed a very potent medication for him. He came home, how much longer he will be able to stay here is a question. Today these darned old teeth have been awful.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 29, 1980

 

A most beautiful day. Bill painted the breezeway floor. Dorothea came and clean the living room rug. It looked good. Betty busy with Pa. He is very bad, cancer. Dorothea and I called on Fern in evening. We also went down to the Cemetery. This morning I had Laurie, Debbie, Joy and Betty for breakfast. Asked Dorothea about she didn’t make it. I also made a chocolate fudge layer cake for Laurie in appreciation for her helping me clean the cupboards. My teeth was AWFUL today. I finally put some things in to make them stick, what a relief.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment