The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, November 18, 2021

July 24 - 27, 1980 Turkey Dinner Disappointment

 

Thursday, July 24, 1980 a nice day

 

A nice day, a good breezy wind. Not at all hot. I have been busy. I went to town, picked some things in the garden. Carmen gone away with friends to Old Orchard Beach for the day. Betty has a bad back, went to the doctors. Dorothea’s foot swollen a lot today. Zak riding on his new bike and Kim too.

 

 

 

Friday, July 25, 1980

 

Quite a nice day, not too hot. I done up my work, prepared some food for Sunday. Down to Betty’s to help do string beans. Also Fern. I came home at 1 PM. Dorothea and David here to help Bill on the bus. Bill don’t feel very good.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 26, 1980

 

A nice day, on the hot side. I have been very busy all day. Made pies, prepared other things. Cleaned up the house. It was quite muggy. I did not baked beans, made salads etc. The New Hope Farm had a baked bean supper. I made rolls for that and four loaves of bread for tomorrow. Billie did some grass trimming. Zak up a few times on his bike.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 27, 1980 Frances Allen Brackett died about 10 o’clock tonight

 

On the hazy side. I got up early, got the turkey in cooking. Done up the housework. Got all the last-minute jobs done. I had a turkey dinner for Dorothea’s birthday and Betty and Walt’s anniversary. Walt never came. Betty and Dorothea never came until late. I got the dinner ready hoping they would all be ready by 2, they didn’t come until 2:30 to 3. Jeff and Paula came much later. So that is the way it was. Carmen here and helped, also Kim made a salad and helped.

 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment