The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 26, 2021

August 23 - 26, 1980

Saturday, August 23, 1980

 

A very nice day 80 to 85 and more during middle of day. I done up my regular work. Changed beds, washed floors, made cupcakes, rolls and baked beans. Billie and I took some corn, squash, shell beans and cukes. Esther went with us. Carmen and I made her pickles today. Carmen sick all night. She was so tired. Betty’s folks and guests went on a picnic today. It has been a beautiful day. Bill worked up to David’s. Bill and Billie mowed our lawns. Billie busy all day.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 24, 1980 HOT Brockle  Head

 

A very nice hot day. It was a pretty, sunny and clear. David called and had coffee. I done up the work. Went out in the swing until the sun got so hot. I made sandwiches and had Fern and Esther up for supper. They was very pleased. We had supper on the back porch. Dorothea called later. The Brockle Head Heifer went tonight to be butchered for beef. A man up to East Stoneham will buy it. A Mr. Barker. Betty and Walt’s company went today. Carmen and Kim to the Dr., regular visit. Billie cleaned up the pasture where the feed bunk was. Bill down to Barnaby’s in late PM.

 

 

 

Monday, August 25, 1980 hot and muggy

 

Done up regular work. Zak up for breakfast. I did a big wash. Carmen called, also Kim, dropped in on her way to Portland. She and Maureen. They took the bus down. She was going to do rest of her school shopping. I made 2 squash pies. I watched TV soaps in PM. Billie gone to auction with Butch today. Bill finished the bus for Mr. Saltman.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 26, 1980 hot muggy

 

I got up early, got my ironing done, got breakfast, done up the work. Made some egg sandwiches, got ready to go down to Thena’s for the day. We had a very nice day at Thena’s. She had a nice lunch. We sat out on the porch and talked. Betty, Susan, Dorothea and kids came down in PM. Kids all took a swim. Didn’t see TV shows in PM.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment