The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 2, 2021

May 22 - 25, 1980 TEETH

Thursday, May 22, 1980 TEETH, hot

 

Today I got my teeth. I hate them. It was a very nice sunny and very warm day. I done up regular work. I got up at 5 and got the curtains ironed and back to the windows. I done some other odd jobs. Zak called on his way to school. He goes on his bike. Bill down to the camp working. Billie working around here. I washed. About 11 we left to go to get my teeth. Dorothea went too, she got Lady. She took her to the vets yesterday. They took the sore out of her mouth and examined it. The dog didn’t feel good. Well I got the teeth today. I hate them. They don’t feel good and won’t stay in. Now I have got to go back. Laurie came over and we cleaned my upper cupboards. She done such a nice job. Maureen went home tonight. Got Dorothea’s shelf top on her sink in etc. today.

 

 

 

Friday, May 23, 1980

 

A quite nice day. I been very busy all day. In PM back over to Dr. Curran dentist. He relieved my teeth some, they still are very uncomfortable. I hate them the way they are. He says I will get used to them. I doubt it very much as of today. Can’t eat anything with them. I came home and finished cleaning the kitchen.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 24, 1980

 

Another very nice day. I have been very busy all day. I done my regular work. Did quite a dite of cooking. Pie, cake, rolls, cake for the bake sale. I cleaned the breezeway in PM. So I’m done housecleaning. Got a lot of jobs to do. Dorothea called after supper. Zak got a haircut at the barbershop today. He is a very nice looking kid now. I’m so glad. He looks so very nice. New Hope Farm had a baked sale and carwash today. They done very well.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 25, 1980

 

It has been a very windy day, sunny, not too warm. I didn’t get up too early. I got breakfast. David called. I got the work started, Dorothea came. She helped me so we could go to the Cemetery. We did. Betty came, Betty, Dorothea, Joy, Zak and Fern went also we went up to South Waterford and Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis’s. Came home. Done a few things, got supper. Zak and Walt went to the dump. Walt’s beef heifer came tonight. Teeth no better.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment