The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

August 16 - 18, 1980 Open House at the new Thomas House

 




























 

Saturday, August 16, 1980 new cow, a Jersey, a cold windy day

 

Kind of a cloudy day, a lot of sunshine, windy and a few rain showers. I done up my work, did some cooking. Then I went with Billie over to Clyde Rowe’s. He had a nice young Jersey cow. She is a beauty and I hope she will work out to be a very good family cow. We have wanted one for so long. I came home, we finished our or my cooking. Washed the floors, took a bath and ready for the big event tonight.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 17, 1980 sunny except cooler

 

A quite nice day. Sunny and not as windy, on the cool side. I done up the work. Got the B News all read. Zak here all day. Well last night Dorothea and David had a good time and they got a lot of nice gifts. All people were there that was invited except for a few. Two called in today. Everyone liked their new home.

 

 

 

Monday, August 18, 1980 Brown Swiss went

 

A nice sunny day, the clothes dried good. I have been busy all day. I went down and helped the kids get some beans (shelled) ready for the freezer. Betty and Fern and Es came and helped. Chris Rager gone to camp for a few days. Dorothea came and got some shell beans.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment