The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, November 21, 2021

August 4 - 7, 1980 Buried Freya

Monday, August 4, 1980 Freya buried

 

It was a very nice clear sunny day. Quite foggy in first part of the day. I got up early, got washing to going. About 8 AM Carmen came up for breakfast. Poor girl, she had to very swollen teared eyes. Also very tired look on her face. She had quite a restless and sleepless night. Also all the family. Betty was up early this morning. We got ready and went down to get Freya’s grave dog. Billie and Carmen did that. It was so awful hot in the sun. They dug a big grave and she was finally laid to rest. Tara and Heidi were there and they saw their pal laid to rest. The girls and Betty very upset and also Zak. She was such a good loving dog. Bill made a settlement with Myron Ward today. $3000 in a cash payment and a agreement to pay $200 monthly until balance is paid. Dorothea came and got some vegetables in evening. Also Betty and kids. Zak and Vince slept in tent tonight.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 5, 1980

 

A quite nice day but very hot, not as much humidity. I did a big ironing this morning. I made a custard pie, picked some beans. Done up the housework. I washed windows in car and truck. Billie cleaned them, it was hot. Bill made Dorothea a set of door steps for her back porch. Fern came up this PM and here for supper. She enjoyed it. I had some string beans cooked in salt pork. Betty and Zak up to New Hampshire shopping.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 6, 1980 ES CAME TONIGHT, BETTY GOT HAIRCUT

 

Today I done up regular work, went to town shopping for Fern. Then I came home and cleaned Kimmy’s sandwich toaster. Watched TV soaps in PM. Had supper early. Got ready and went down to Fern’s to meet Esther when she got there. Betty, Susan and kids went to meet Es at the airport. They had appointment to meet first. Kim went to the orthodontist. One appointment was BETTY got her hair cut. She looks about 10 years younger. I’m so glad.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 7, 1980

 

It still is very hot. I did a wash, went up to Dorothea’s early to see her pretty home. It is so pretty where they have the work done. It is a very pleasant place. I’m glad they have it. They both love it. I came home, got ready and went to town. Dorothea took us, Delores, Susan and me. Betty cleaned her house up. Bill and Billie didn’t do much, too hot. I don’t do much in PM. Had our first batch of corn.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment