The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

September 12 - 14, 1980 Party for Zak's 11th Birthday

 

Friday, September 12, 1980

 

I done a lot today. Also I made my green tomato mincemeat. Got it all done. I canned a few tomatoes. Billie in and out all day. Bill down to camp, finished up. Kim up here for supper tonight and is staying all night. Fern has a bad arm.

 

 

 

Saturday, September 13, 1980 DAVID GOT HIS COW AND HEIFER today

 

A mixed day as far as the weather goes. It has been sunny, cloudy and showers. David came, Kimmy here this morning. We done up the work. Then when Carmen and Betty came they went to North Windham. They bought a nice colored TV, remote-control. Also done some birthday shopping for Zak. Billie, David and Kim hauled David’s cow and heifer up this morning. David is a very happy guy now I tell you. Bill didn’t do much today. Well went dry tonight. Billie got water from barn well. I got all of my tomatoes can today.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 14, 1980 PARTY FOR ZAK’S 11TH BIRTHDAY, FLICKA, BEEF WENT AND WALT’S TOO

 

It was raining hard when I got up at 7:30. It had rained all night and hard most of the day. I got my work done up. Fern came up to stay till we went down to Betty’s for Zak’s 11th birthday which is tomorrow. He got money and a lot of gifts, had ice cream and cake. Joy’s family, Susan’s family, Dorothea and Dave, Fern, Bill and I and the Hortons. Flicka came home late this PM after being gone nine weeks and five days. 9 weeks 5 days. I hope she will be a good horse after that length of time of training. Steer sick.

 









 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment