The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 8, 2021

October 9 - 12, 1980

 

Thursday, October 9, 1980 Permanent, a beautiful day

 

A beautiful day. I got my work done up early. Went to Barbara’s and got a permanent. In PM I went to East Raymond with Milan, Betty and Dorothea to my grandfather Smith’s grave and great great uncle and great great great grandfathers graves. It was a beautiful day. I didn’t get to see my programs. Betty up in evening and later Betty Crook came.

 

 

 

Friday, October 10, 1980

 

A nice sunny day. I done my work and a dite of cooking. I had Milan and Betty up for supper also Zak and Carmen too. Betty spent the evening, Billie took her home. Called at Fern’s.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 11, 1980

 

This is been a very rainy day all day. Mostly steady. I done regular work, made rolls and bread, baked beans and some cookies. Bill worked on the boat. Billie down town and around. Carmen up for a little while. Betty Smith called and Betty Horton called. Kimmy and Carmen worked on the floats. I went down to Betty and Walt’s after supper. Milan didn’t feel too good.

 

 

 

Sunday, October 12, 1980 Bought New Red and White Durham Cow from Clyde Millet in East Stoneham

 

It was foggy and cloudy when we got up but it cleared. David called. Also Carmen. Too wet to saw wood so we, Billie, Carmen and I went and looked at a cow or for a cow. Over to East Stoneham. We bought one from the old Ed Allen farm. She is a beautiful red and white. Carmen enjoyed the ride looking at the old farms and the beautiful leaves.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment