The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

November 28 - 30, 1980 Fern Has Difficulty Breathing

 

Friday, November 28, 1980

 

This is been a cloudy rainy and snowy day. I didn’t get up till 7 AM. I done a lot of odds and end jobs. Settling back from yesterday. I defrosted refrigerator, washed, cleaned out the silver draws, straightened up cupboards. I made a mac & cheese for supper. I did some mending. Bill home all day. Billie up to Dorothea and David’s, called at Betty’s. Betty called at Fern’s. Kids home all day.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 29, 1980

 

A beautiful day. I did a dite of ends and odd jobs. I made a pie. Dawn came for milk in a.m. Zak called a little while. Billie in and out. Bill up to Dorothea’s helping her about all day. New Hope Farm had their last supper tonight at the church over to Norway.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 30, 1980 FERN

 

Well it is been kind of a cloudy day but some sun. Not very cold. We had a call this morning that Fern has a problem breathing. Betty and I rushed right down. She was having a hard time to breathe. We called Dr. Gluck. He said her heart didn’t have enough strength to pump the fluid from her heart. He gave her to shots and she soon came out of it. Also had to get a prescription filled to help take care of the fluid. Betty and I was there and Dorothea, Joy and Billie called. Betty and I stayed till 4. Dorothea went home, got David’s dinner and he went to bed then Dorothea stayed till about 10:30. Betty and I went back after supper for a little while. She was much improved. A quiet day otherwise.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment