The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, December 18, 2021

November 16 - 19, 1980 First Snow of the Season

 

Sunday, November 16, 1980

 

A nice day except it was very windy and cold. I done up the regular work. In PM I wrapped Christmas gifts. Kim was here and she helped me. Bill and Billie worked in the woods. They finished it all. They have got out between 5 and 6 chords for next winter. No one here today except Kim and David. Vince came for milk. Keith called in evening.

 

Annual Photo Shots - Ugh!



 

 

 

 

Monday, November 17, 1980

 

Nice and sunny. Bill started the fire in the furnace today. I did a big wash. Cooked a chicken stew. Called at Betty’s for a little while.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 18, 1980 FIRST SNOW, NO SCHOOL

 

We had the first snow storm today. It snowed hard all night and when we got up it still was snowing and has all day. We got about 8 to 10 inches. Bill done some plowing. Billie done some shoveling. It is very bad traveling. Many meetings postponed or canceled. No school. It was very bad all over the state and Massachusetts and New Hampshire. I ironed early, down to Betty’s and helped her and kids cleaned up the house. They were going to have a big meeting there, but because of the storm it’s postponed until tomorrow night.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 19, 1980

 

A very nice day, on the cool side. I done up my work. Bill finished plowing. What a mess this first snow of the season, had about 8 or 10 inches. Billie down and done Fern’s shoveling. Also over to Bob Thomas. Betty went to town today instead of tomorrow. I’m glad to get that over with. Tonight Dorothea called. Also at Betty’s tonight they had a big meeting about the shelter and its future. Got the new element in the oven of my stove today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment