The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, December 12, 2021

October 24 - 27, 1980

 

Friday, October 24, 1980

 

A very nice day. Bill got the septic tank drain fixed. I done some cooking. I finished my scraps. Walt took a soil tests.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 25, 1980

 

Well it was cloudy most of the day then it began to rain and wind blowed in PM. It evening it rained very hard and heavy winds. Some flood damage and wind damage in some places along the coast. I cooked, washed floors, regular Saturday work. Dorothea and Dave down for supper.

 

 

 

Sunday, October 26, 1980 Standard Time

 

It was cloudy most of the day. Some sun. Very windy. I done up regular work, back on the good time again. Kimmy called also Zak and Carmen called. The vet was at Betty’s today to take hedge hog quills out of Angel’s nose and mouth. Zak’s pony has a sore eye. Fern came up today or about noon for afternoon and supper.

 

 

 

Monday, October 27, 1980

 

A nice day. I did a big wash, defrosted refrigerator. I made a chocolate pie. I prepared squash, onions, applesauce. Also I cooked a big roast of pork. We had a pre-Thanksgiving supper, hot biscuits very good. Frank Snow came and looked at the septic system. Paul Field topped the chimney out, it is taller.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment