The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, December 6, 2021

October 1 - 4, 1980

Wednesday, October 1, 1980

 

It was foggy and cloudy when we got up but in later PM it cleared. The black top he put on yesterday got dried. I done regular work, made the first apple pie for the season. Bill and Billie gone off and on most of the day. Betty and Walt to Portland.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 2, 1980

 

A cloudy day and some rain showers. I done up my work. Betty took me to town. Came home, done some odd jobs, watched soaps some. David called on his way home from work. Walt working on bathroom upstairs. Bill working at Joy’s.

 

 

 

Friday, October 3, 1980 $305.30 $130.40

 

I done up the regular work. Washed a dite. Made a pie. Bill gone part of forenoon. Billie didn’t get outside till late as usual. I worked at desk etc.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 4, 1980

 

Well it has been another one of those cloudy, rainy and sunny days. I been very busy as usual. Saturday is always a busy day. I cooked, cleaned up the house etc. etc. Dorothea and David here for supper. I made 3 pies, cake and bread and rolls. I called at Betty’s for a little while. Kim babysitting today. Bill didn’t do much today. Billie helped saw wood at Del Chadbourne’s today.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment