The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, December 24, 2021

December 9 - 12, 1980

 

Tuesday, December 9, 1980

 

A quite nice day. I done up regular work, did the ironing. Betty and I down town and LRHS. Went up to Bill Ridlon’s, no one was home. I cooked a boiled dinner. Fern up for supper. Bill and I went up to Bill and Evelyn’s, she was home. We got some papers for Betty. Carmen’s PICTURES came today. They are so good. I love them. I hope I will see Kim and Zak too. They too will be good.

 


 

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 10, 1980

 

A nice day. I done regular work, washed windows, did a small wash. Wrapped Billie’s Christmas gifts. Made a cake. Billie and Betty over to Norway to finish their shopping. Bill worked on the showcase all day. Joy called in evening, came for her milk.

 

 

 

Thursday, December 11, 1980

 

Very cold. I done up the work and went to town. Came home, did a dite of wash. Watched most of the soaps. I got supper to going. Betty came up a minute.

 

 

 

Friday, December 12, 1980

 

A quite nice day, not very cold. Billie and I took a ride over through Sweden, Lovell and Stoneham to see all the damage that the awful wind did. Timber lot after timber lot was flattened from the heavy winds. It was awful, some buildings got hit by the trees too. I came home, got the supper to going, did some cooking. Helped Bill fix the showcase down cellar. Betty called, it is all done now.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment