The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, December 4, 2021

September 23 - 26, 1980

 

Tuesday, September 23, 1980

 

A nice day after the fog cleared away. It was very warm in a.m. but we had a dite of shower then the wind blowed and it was much cooler, but nice and sunny. Betty and I cleaned the living room and Fern was here. She was a big help. She cleaned all the stuff that goes in the living room.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 24, 1980

 

A beautiful day. I done up my kitchen curtains and other ironing. Betty came, she cleaned the kitchen. I made 3 squash pies and cooked a couple chickens for Betty’s supper. We got the room done about one. Then she went home and I did the floor. Billie sawed and hauled wood. Bill made 2 storm doors for Dorothea. Zak called after supper. Carmen called. Kim babysitting tonight.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 25, 1980

 

There was a good rain storm last night. A lot of rain, it cleared off in forenoon. Bill and Billie sawed and got rest of the wood in today. I went to town to shop. Didn’t get home until after 1:30.

 

 

 

Friday, September 26, 1980

 

A quite nice day. I did some wash. Also ironed. Done some cooking, made macaroni and cheese. I watched TV in PM. Bill up to Dorothea’s. Billie sawed some wood.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment