The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, December 11, 2021

October 20 - 23, 1980

 

Monday, October 20, 19 Sent to Sears, Miles Kimball and Spencer

 

A quite nice day, mostly sunny. I did my washing and got some Christmas orders ready to go. Bill and I went down and sent them. Thena called today. Bill out a few times today. Billie out and in all day.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 21, 1980 Fern 78

 

Well a mixed day weatherwise. It wasn’t too cold though. I done up my work, cleaned up the house. Then I got a boiled dinner in the making. I also made a cake for Fern’s birthday. She was 78 years old today. She came up in PM and for the boiled dinner and in evening Betty’s family, Joy’s family, Susan’s family, Dorothea and us, we had a dite party for Fern. She was very pleased.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 22, 1980

 

At last a quite nice day. No rain. I got my work done up then I went down and helped Betty to do her windows on the outside. Also the storm windows. Bill in and out. Paul Field came and put the extra link on the chimney to see if the stove would draw better. A piece of tile. Billie been busy all day cleaning up out in the yard, to the garage at one to have his car or truck fixed. Septic system getting bad.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 23, 1980

 

A very nice day. I done up my work and went to town. Bill took us. Betty and kids to dentist. Billie helped David split and hauled wood. Bill didn’t do much. He watched TV in PM. The septic system is getting much worse.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment