The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

November 5 - 8, 1980

Wednesday, November 5, 1980 DID BETTY’S AND OUR HENS

 

A quite nice, not too cold, some wind. I done up my work then we went down and done Betty’s hens, also did ours down there. It took most all day. Tonight David came home from the hospital. He had a minor operation. Billie up to help them do chores.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 6, 1980 Joy’s hens

 

We went to town and done Joy’s hens. A quite nice day. Very cold this morning 22°. It got quite cold during the day. David called this morning. He says he is feeling better. Bill worked at Fern’s all day doing the leaves.

 

 

 

Friday, November 7, 1980

 

A nice sunny day, it was on the cold side. I done up the work and went down to Betty’s, Fern and I. We made Betty’s applesauce for freezing. Betty cleaned up her house. It looked nice. Bill and Billie working on the wood. Dennis, Carmen’s favorite cat, gone.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 8, 1980 Chicks

 

It cleared off nice this morning. One of those rare sunny mornings. I been very busy all day. Cooking, cleaning up the house etc. My oven gone again. I had to bake my bread and rolls at Betty’s.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment