The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, December 13, 2021

October 28 - 31, 1980 Halloween

 

Tuesday, October 28, 1980

 

Well it is been a cloudy showery day. I done up work, sent thank you notes to Es and Laurie. I went down to Betty’s a little while. Then Billie and I went down to Standish to Chartier’s and got beans for us and Betty. I made a pie in PM and watched soaps. Bill and I. Billie down town.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 29, 1980

 

Well, this has been a cloudy showery day. Bill and Billie didn’t do much. I called at (blank). The lawyer called at Fern’s. Betty and Walt was there. Betty and I called in evening. Jerry Irish came and (?) For the septic system. Bill and Billie hauled and spread the hen manure.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 30, 1980

 

A very nice day. I done up work then I worked at the desk. Bill and Billie hauled and spread the hen manure. They came and begun on the septic system. They will work tomorrow and get it fixed by Saturday he said.

 




 

 

 

 

Friday, October 31, 1980 cold and windy

 

A very nice sunny day, they came real early and begun on the septic work. The sewer tank came at about 9. I did a wash and Billie and I drove up to Bethel to see where we could get the chickens. This is Halloween night, we have had a lot of kids come. 33 in all, more than I ever had before. Carmen and some of her classmates came. I took the package back to Sear’s this afternoon to be returned.

 

Ulle (AFS Student), Lisa Osgood, Doreen McHatton, Carmen and Maureen Momm


 

 

Zak and Peter Rogers

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment