The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, October 31, 2021

May 14 - 17, 1980

 

Wednesday, May 14, 1980 Ceiling and walls, kitchen

 

Well it was cloudy all forenoon. It cleared some in PM. I did not go to the dentist, he called and said he rather I would come tomorrow so the appointment was changed. Betty and I to Dorothea’s a while. Then I came home and picked some dandelions for supper. Billie helped me and we did the kitchen walls and ceilings. It was done very good. Billie put the rub to it. I’m so glad that is done. Bill up to Dorothea’s again today. The element came for the oven today.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 15, 1980

 

It was very nice and sunny when we got up this morning, first time for about 2 weeks it was clear when we got up. It clouded up, fair weather clouds and then cleared off. I done work up then I made 2 apple pies and a chocolate cake. I made one pie for Dorothea and David. Also I made them a beef stew. About 11 AM we left to go to the dentist over to Mechanic Falls to Dr. Curran. He fitted my teeth. This was the first time in my life I ever had false teeth in my mouth. I will be glad to get them and hopefully I’ll get used to them so I won’t mind them. Betty took Delores to town and done Fern’s shopping first thing this morning. We called at Dorothea’s. Billie done my shopping. Bill up to Dorothea’s and worked on the brickwork.

 

 

 

Friday, May 16, 1980

 

A quite nice day. I did all my lower cupboards and draws in the kitchen. I also did a big ironing early. Bill up to Dorothea’s. Billie in and out. Betty did her barn, washed all the outside windows.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 17, 1980

 

A very nice day. I’ve been busy as a parched pea in a hot skillet. I cooked, ironed. Did some washing. I cleaned the refrigerator inside and out, also the electric stove. Washed floors. Cleaned up the house. Kim called and Zak also. I had Dorothea and David for supper.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment