The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

March 30 - April 2, 1980 April Fools Day

 

Sunday, March 30, 1980

 

It was cloudy and rainy when we got up, late in PM it cleared. David called in the morning. Kim, Zak and Carmen called in PM also Vince. I didn’t do much, read some and done regular work. Bill didn’t do anything. Billie up and helped David in PM. Not too much manure to haul out.

 

 

 

Monday, March 31, 1980

 

A very nice sunny day on the mild side. I done my washing. Also did the ironing. Bill outside and up to David’s and around all day. That was good. I hate to have someone sitting around the house all day nothing to do and he didn’t do a thing. David had a flat tire on the manure spreader today. Billie done some more raking while David got that fixed then Billie went back up to help him. They got it all out. It looks very neat and clean all around our place here where Billie raked it all up. A week ago today I got the teeth out and today they or my mouth is okay. I’m so glad it is all over. Joy was at Betty’s all day.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 1, 1980

 

I done up my regular work. Betty came, we went down to the PROP about my teeth. No more funds left. Down to Betty’s a little while. Kim out for softball.



 

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 2, 1980

 

A quite nice day. I did some odds and end jobs. Bill up to David’s. I made a cake and custard. Dorothea and David got a call from Wes Autio also they called Federal land Bank about a loan. Kim is manager of the softball team.

No comments:

Post a Comment