The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, October 22, 2021

April 11 - 14, 1980 Kim's 14th Birthday

Friday, April 11, 1980

 

A quite nice day. I done my work, went down to Betty’s. Joy and Dorothea came. We, Betty, Dorothea and I cleaned up the house because Kimmy is having a party down there tonight. It looks much better after we got done. Kim had a lot of friends at her party, had a good time. I’ve been busy all day. Done some washing etc. Bill done rest of the painting today at Betty’s.

 

 

 

Saturday, April 12, 1980 Kimberley Allie Boutilier Horton 14 years old

 

A pretty good day, some sun and some cloudy skies. I’ve been very busy all day. I cleaned up the house. I washed floors, windows etc. etc. I did a lot of cooking, busy all day. Dorothea came and frosted Kimmy’s cake. Also wrapped gifts. Kimmy called for a while. Also Zak. Billie, Bill and David hauled the tractor back from David’s. Billie worked on the fence, did some more raking.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 13, 1980

 

A very nice sunny day. I done up regular work, that is all I had to do today. After I got the work done Bill and I drove up to Dorothea’s a little while. Came home. Dawn came. We went down to Betty’s for Kim’s birthday. She had a lot of nice gifts, a very pretty cake and a good time. Came home. Billie been fencing, he came home from Betty’s and done some more. Betty, Walt helped Charlene and Tom move a stove from Dawn’s and the new couch in at their place. Dorothea and Dave called a little while.

 









 

 

 

 

Monday, April 14, 1980

 

Not a very good day. Betty started her spring work today. Painting and papering. Dawn and Joy are going to help her. I went down and done the (?) work so she could work upstairs. Bill up to Dorothea’s. Billie worked on the fence again, grounds still frozen.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment