The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

February 16- 19, 1980 Betty's 37th Birthday

Saturday, February 16, 1980 SNOW

 

Well we at last have snow, it has snowed hard all day. Got about 8 inches. Kim didn’t feel very well, tired and slept a lot, headache. She worked on the puzzle a little. I made 2 squash pies, a mince pie, cake and bread and rolls, and some real good beans. The car or truck didn’t get out of the garage today. A bad storm, it is very bad on the roads. Joy went to Portland to meet Buddy. They will come home tomorrow. Laurie and Richard called in PM.

 

 

 

Sunday, February 17, 1980 Betty Louise Crook Boutilier Horton 37 years

 

Snow all around this morning. Bill plowed. It was a very nice day, on the cold side. I got up real early got the dinner to going. About 11 Fern came, later the kids came. They all 3 of them helped me a lot. They got the table set. About 1:30 we sat down to eat a roast pork dinner. Whip cream cake for the birthday cake. Betty got a lot of nice gifts and money.

 

 

 

Monday, February 18, 1980

 

A beautiful day. I done regular work, did my washing, dried everything in the house. Dorothea and David came up. They went up to work on their stove to get it set up. Billie, Betty, Kim, Billie Deming, Brud, Bill and me were all there. It is a very nice day. They moved another load up today. A holiday.

 

 

 

Tuesday, February 19, 1980

 

A dite of wind. I done up the regular work, washed kitchen floor. I did ironing early. I worked on puzzle. Bill working on the pipe and stove at Dorothea’s. He had to go to Norway to get the funnel. Betty and kids gone to Norway to get the wallpaper for their bedrooms.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment