The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 30, 2021

May 10 - 13, 1980

Saturday, May 10, 1980 Tonight is the Junior Senior Prom. Carmen not going. She is having friends in for a party.

 

Well it was sunny most of the day. Some clouds around but no rain. I been busy all day. I cleaned the cupboards and draws and washed ceiling and walls in the blue bathroom. I couldn’t cook because they didn’t come to fix the stove. I had stewed beans and fried biscuits for supper. I went up to Dorothea’s early this morning with Bill. Phil up working today at Dorothea’s. Bill worked on the lawn mower. Billie in and out all day. Carmen worked at the shelter with Zenya today. Kim babysitting for Dawn tonight. Dave called this morning. This is the first good day for about a week. Today I washed bedding skirts and aired out the jackets etc. in the closets. Things dried quite good.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 11, 1980 MOTHER’S DAY AND IT WAS A GOOD ONE

 

This is been quite a nice day weatherwise. I done up my regular work. Bill up to Dorothea’s part of the day. Well I had a very nice Mother’s Day. I got very nice gifts, a wristwatch from Billie, dishes, roaster pans, towels, washcloths and very pretty cards from Horton children, Betty and Walt. Pretty apron and mixing spoons and a pretty card. A very nice useful gifts. Candy and card from Dawn. The man and his son from San Francisco landed in their balloon one in Québec Canada today. 5 days coming from the West Coast.

 

 

 

Monday, May 12, 1980 Zak went to school on his bike for the first time today

 

Well, this is been a very nice sunny day and a very mild. I got my work done up early. Dorothea called a minute. Bill went down and done Fern’s mowing lawn. Betty and I went down to Fern’s, we cleaned her bedroom closets and the one as you come in the back door. Got some of her kitchen cupboards done. We will go back and finished those and her China closet. Bill took it easy this PM. Billie had the cows out most all day. This is been such a good day but the promise of rain tomorrow. Walt home sick all day.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 13, 1980

 

We went down to Fern’s this forenoon. Then in PM Betty went down and cleaned up her cellar. I cleaned this closet, living room. Watched programs. Carmen called. Bill started Dorothea’s brickwork in her kitchen. Billie busy and out a lot.

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment